- Create a new folder, named for the new copy;
- Copy the files from the original guest into this folder;
- Remove any .WRITELOCK files in the new folder, and rename the .vmx file for the new vm guest;
- Run the following command to rename the disk folders in the new folder:
vmware-vdiskmanager -n [OLDVMNAME].vmdk [NEWVMNAME].vmdk
- Edit the new .vmx file and change the value for "scsi0:0.fileName" to reflect the NEWVMNAME, you might also want to conform the value for "displayName" to match the new name;
- Go out and enjoy a cup of coffee with the time you just saved.